Get Fab Abs with this easy move that targets your tummy area.
Although this exercise only involves a small movement, the dumbbell crunch really helps to tone your tummy as the muscles are always engaged during the move.
- Start by lying on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor (you may wish to use an exercise mat or a towel to lie on)
- Holding a dumbbell with both hands, extend your arms so that the dumbbell is directly above your shoulders. Use a dumbbell between 2-5kgs and if you don’t have any dumbbells, then try and use some household items such as a bag of sugar.
- Contract your stomach muscles and slowly crunch upwards, lifting your head and upper back a few inches off the floor. As you do so, move your arms back slightly so that the dumbbell is still above your shoulders. Focus on lifting your chest upwards rather than towards your knees, like you might in a regular crunch
- The movement should come from your stomach muscles so avoid raising the dumbbell by rounding your shoulders upwards and forwards
- Lower slowly down again, repeating the movement before your upper back makes full contact with the floor – increasing the work of your stomach. Your stomach muscles should remain contracted throughout the repetition.
Keep your neck relaxed, maintaining the distance between your chin and chest throughout. Think of your neck as being part of your spine and working at the same time with your spine.
For ‘Fab Abs’ do this exercise Three times per week. Choose rep range from below:
- Beginner – 2x 8-10 reps
- Intermediate – 3x 10-12 reps
- Advanced – 3x 12-15 reps
When this becomes too easy for you :0) bring your legs into table-top position (hips and knees bent at 90 degrees, feet off the floor), increase the weight of the dumbbell, or pause for the count of one or two a the top of each rep.
Happy Dumbbell Crunching!